Gratong Thong (Golden Vessel)
1 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup rice flour
6 tbsp. coconut cream
1 duck egg
1 and 1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup lime water
2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup minced pork
1/4 cup sliced into small piece carrot
1/4 cup sliced potato
1/4 cup sliced green pea (optional)
5 coriander roots
12 cloves garlic
1 tsp. Thai pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tbsp. soybean sauce
1/2 tsp. sugar
1. Sieve the wheat flour, rice flour and salt together once.
2. Combine it with coconut cream and duck egg. Then mix well.
3. Gradually add lime water and sift it.
4. Heat the pan and add 2 cup vegetable oil. Steep the vessel block in hot vegetable oil.
5. Wait until it vessel block gets hot then dip it into the mixed flour. Make sure the flour only stick to the outside part of the block.
6. Then fry the mixed flour until it turns gold.
7. Remove the golden vessel. Continue frying the golden vessel until you use up the mixed flour.
Be patient while you are cooking this vessel. 🙂 It’s going take a long No, wonder I sometimes spend 2 hours on cooking!! Anyway, I think it is so much fun.
After you finish the golden vessel, here is how to cook the stuffing.
1. Ground coriander roots, garlic, Thai pepper and salt altogether.
2. In a different pan, put 1/3 cup olive oil and use medium heat.
3. When the pan is hot, add grounded coriander, garlic, Thai pepper and salt in the pan. Then fry until it smells aromatic.
4. Next, put pork, carrot, potato, and green pea. Add soybean sauce, and sugar. Cook for 15 minutes.
Serve with golden vessel and sweet Chinese plum sauce or ketchup. I think children will like this Thai food menu. 🙂