Thai Isaan Food Recipe: Pae Sa Isaan
(Steamed Whole Fish with Sauce)
1 whole fish of any kind
3 pieces ginger
1 tbsp. soybean sauce
2 tbsp. pickled garlic
1/2 cup sugar
2 tbsp. minced garlic
3 red chili peppers
2 tbsp. lemon juice or vinegar
1 cup crushed roasted peanut
2 lemongrass (cut 2 inches)
5 kaffir lime leaves
2 coriander roots
1 tbsp. fish sauce
1 cup water
1. Clean and scale the fish very well. Put soybean sauce, sliced ginger, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves.
2. Steam with max heat for about 30 minutes.
3. While the fish is being cooked. We’ll make the sauce. Firstly, ground coriander roots, chili peppers and garlic and then put in boiling water.
4. Add sugar, fish sauce, lemon juice or tamarind juice, and crushed roasted peanut.
5. Dress the sauce with coriander leaves.
6. Serve with coriander, mint, sweet basil, lettuce, Thai vermiceli, cabbage or and vegetable you like.
When you eat put fish on a big vegetable leaf. Add all kinds of vegetable but a little of each one. Then put sauce on the top and now open your mouth wide!! 🙂