Tod Mun Pla Gra-ai
(Fried Fish Cakes)
500 g. feather-back fish (meat) or any kind of fish
1/2 cup long bean (slice)
1 tbsp. chili paste (see how to make below) or you can use instant Gang Ped Paste
1 tsp. salt + 1 tbsp water
2 tbsp. fish sauce
3 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. sliced kaffir lime leaves
1 cube of ice
Bigeye Snappers ปลาข้างเหลือง <<<click to see the fish I use
Notopterus Chitala ปลากราย <<<< click to see the kind of fish we usually use for this recipe
Salmon and Nil Perch are the substitution if you can’t find the fish mentioned above.
Chili paste: Skip this part if you can find Gang Ped instant paste
7 dried red chili peppers
1/2 tsp. Thai pepper
3 tbsp. sliced lemongrass
1 tsp. sliced galingale
3 tbsp. sliced red onion
3 tbsp. sliced garlic
1 tsp. kaffir lime skin
1 tbsp. coriander root
1 tsp. shrimp paste
1. Finely ground the chili paste ingredients altogether to make the paste.
2. Add the fish meat in the blender. Add 1 ice cube and blend it until it looks fine. You may want to mince the fish first before you use the blender. That will help make it easier.
3. Now, remove it from the blender. Place the meat into a big bowl so you can mix with the other ingredients. Add, salt water and knead.
4. Add eggs and knead. Then add the paste, sliced long bean, sugar, kaiffir lime leaves and fish sauce. Keep kneading it everything you add one new ingredients. The total time should not be less than 15 minutes. With this step you may use a mortar to save your energy. Using the mortar to knead will make it rise beautifully when you fry the fish cake.
5. Now that you get everything ready. Deep fry 1 tbsp. of the mixed meat each time for 2 minutes or when it turns gold.
6. Serve with the sauce. See how to make the sauce below. If you’re lazy, you can also try the instant sweet sauce.
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 tsp. salt
3 red chili peppers
2 tsp. minced garlic
1/4 cup crushed roasted peanut (optional)
1 cup sliced cucumber (more or less as you like)
1 tbsp. coriander leaves
1. Boil sugar, vinegar, water, and salt. As it get sticky, turn off the fire.
2. Add chili pepper, garlic, sliced cucumber, peanut and dress with coriander leaves.