Thai Dessert: Kao Niao Piak Lumyai (Sticky Rice with Lumyai and Coconut Milk)
1 cup uncooked sticky rice
2 cups lumyai meat (longan) or as much as you like
2 cups coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 pandanus leaves (cut 1 inch)
1. Cook sticky rice in boiling water. The water should be above sticky rice for about 2 inches. Use low-medium heat.
If you can find Kiao Ngoo sticky rice, it will be the best. If not, then don’t worry about it. You can use regular sticky rice for this dessert.
2. Keep stirring the rice and don’t let the rice too dry or too juicy. Be careful, the rice may get burnt at the bottom of the pot.
3. Add pandanus leaves. Cook for 20 minutes. Notice the rice. When it’s cooked, you will see the rice gets bigger. Remember to keep stirring the rice.
4. Now, Add sugar, longan and cook for one more minute. Then put the rice away from the stove.
5. Boil coconut milk on low heat. Add salt whenl it’s boiling. Turn off the fire.
6. Put sticky rice lumyai in a small bowl and top with coconut cream.
When you cook, you may add taro, water chestnut, corn or more lumyai if you like. 🙂