Thai Food Soup: Gang Som Goong Kai Cha-om – Shrimp and Fried Egg Sour Soup
1 cup shrimp (big size, cut, de-veined)
1 cup tamarind juice (non-dried tamarind + hot water)
1 cup Leguminosae (see picture below)
1 cup sliced raw papaya
1 tbsp. fish sauce
2 tbsp. olive oil
2 cups water
1 whole fish (medium size)
7 dried red chili peppers (throw away the seed)
5 red onions
1 tbsp. shrimp paste
1. Beat the egg. Add fish sauce and cha om in it. Mix well.
2. Heat the pan and then put olive oil. Use maximum heat. Fry mixed eggs until the egg turn gold.
3. Now cut the egg into small square pieces.
4. Next, ground all the paste ingredients together.
5. Fry the fish for 10 minutes. Take its meat for 1/2 cup. Mix fish meat with the paste.
6. In the pot, boil the water and add the paste. Until it’s boiling, add tamarind juice. Try 1/2 cup first. If you like it very sour then add more.
7. Add shrimp and cook for 1 minute.
8. In a bowl, prepare fried egg and grached. Pour hot soup with shrimp. This way will make the vegetable crunchy.
You may add carrot, radish, galum dok, pak gad kao and kinds of vegetable that you like.
Remember to boil some vegetables that take time to cook. For example, carrot papaya and radish.
In the picture, I was too lazy to peel the shell. As the result, we got smelly soup and no one ate the shrimp. haha 😀