Fish and Rice Paddy Plant in Sour and Spicy Soup – Dtom Som Pla Sai Phak Kayang
This recipe made of my favorite aromatic rice paddy plant or Finger grass. I’ve got a guarantee from my husband that it has a nice taste. Easy to prepare! Here’s the ingredients for 2 servings.
1 whole fish (clean and , you may use tilapia or snapper – fish with soft and fatty meat will taste the best on this recipe)
1 big tbsp. stock powder see picture below of which kind to use. If you can’t find it, add 2 tbsp of light soy sauce.
5-6 cups or 1/2 liter of water
Finger grass as much as you like
10 chili (sliced or crushed) change the mount if you don’t like spicy.
1 handful cut scallion
1 handful sliced galangal
1 handful sliced lemongrass
1 handful shallot
1/2 cup fermented fish juice
1/2 cup lime juice
1. Boil 1/2 liter of water on maximum heat. Add chili, crushed shallots, galangal, lemongrass, stock powder. Shut the lid and wait until it’s boiling.
2. When it’s boiling, add the fish and fermented fish sauce. Cook the fish until it’s done – 10 minutes approximately.
3. Add finger grass and scallion. Quickly mix it and turn the stove off.
4. Now in a small bowl, add 3 tbsp lime juice and 2 tbsp fish sauce. Pour the soup in the bowl and check the taste the way you like. It should have the balance of 3 tastes – sourness, saltiness and spiciness.
5. Serve with hot jasmine rice or sticky rice.