Mok Pla Siw (Fish and herbs wrapped in banana leaves)
2 cup very small fish (As small as you can find)
5 red chili peppers
5 dried red chili peppers
5 cloves garlic
5 red onions
1 handful basil
2 tbsp. fish sauce
1/4 tsp. sugar
1 tbsp. minced galingale
1 handful cut scallion (1 inch long)
2 handful cut dill (1 inch long) I like this one so I added a lot
1 tbsp. slice lemongrass
3 kaffir lime leaves
2 tbsp. Pla Rah (fermented fish sauce)
1. Ground chili peppers, red onions and garlic all together.
2. Clean the tiny fish very well and put in a big bowl.
3. Add fish sauce, sugar, pla rah, minced galingale, lemongrassm kaffir lime leaves, basil, dill and scallion.
4. Taste it. If you like how it taste then wrap it in banana leaves. If not, add more Pla Rah. At this step, you don’t have to make artistic banana wrap. 😛 haha Just do anything to keep it whole the food. Maybe use toothpick.
Ah! I forgot you can use foil paper (for food). 🙂 That would make it easier, huh? But banana leaves will give a unique smell though, if you would like to try.
5. With banana leaves, you can grill on fire. With foil paper, cook in microwave for 5-10 minutes.
6. Other option, add everything in a clay pot. It will also have a distinctive smell.
7. Serve with sticky rice. 🙂
It is Isaan Style food and a farmer recipe from my mom. When you worked hard on the farm, in the heat, this recipe will increase your appetites. 🙂
Have you ever been offered to eat the whole fish by Thai People? Whole fish.. I mean its meat, its bones and its head. 😀 That’s how we eat it. The whole thing, especially a tiny fish would be easy to chew and swallow. I ate like that as well! 🙂 because I am Isaan! Hahaha