Gaeng Kiao Wan Gai (Chicken Green Curry)
(the chicken isn’t green!)
1 cup chicken
1/2 cup fish balls (optional)
1 cup coconut thick cream
3 cups coconut milk
3 coriander roots
1 tsp. pepper
2 cloves garlic
4 tbsp. fish sauce
1/3 cup crisp eggplant
1/3 cup sweet basil
4 red chili peppers (cut diagonally)
1/2 cup sliced diagonally galingale
1/2 cup cooked chicken’s blood (optional)
25 green chili peppers (more or less as you prefer)
1 tbsp. coriander seed
1 tbsp. cumin powder
10 dried peppers
3 red onions
5 cloves garlic
2 tsp. minced galangal
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. shrimp paste
1 tbsp. sliced lemongrass
1 tsp. sliced kaffir lime skin
1 tbsp. minced galingale (peel off the skin first)
1. Ground all the paste ingredients together and finely. To skip this step you can get instant green curry paste from the store. It’s up to you.
However, it is different between fresh paste and packed paste. 🙂
2. Ground coriander roots, dried peppers and garlic. Then mix it with the chicken.
3. Boil 1 cup of coconut cream with low heat until it’s boiling. Add paste and keep stirring until it smells nice.
4. Then, put chicken and add the rest of coconut milk. Cook for 15 minutes. Don’t stir.
5. After that, add fish balls, cooked chicken’s blood, eggplant, sliced galingale, sweet basil and red chili peppers.
6. Turn of the fire.
To make the curry real green, add 1/4 cup sweet basil while you ground the paste.