Tom Yum Pork, Isaan Style, Tom Sab Moo
1 cup pork, Choose soft bone and the rib about 600 g.
2 tbsp. sliced young galingale
1 group lemongrass (sliced 1 inch)
3 tbsp. cut red onion
5 kaffir lime leaves
5 crushed coriander roots
2 pickled garlic (sweet)
3 crystal sugar
7 tbsp. fish sauce
2 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. minced chicken breast
6 tbsp. lemon juice
3 tbsp. dried chili powder
3 tbsp. roasted and finely crushed uncooked rice
1/4 cup sliced scallion
1/4 cup sliced parsley
1/4 cup sweet basil
1. Clean the pork very well. Cut it to the bite size.
2. Add water to 1/2 of the pot. Boil the pork on medium heat until it’s boiling. After that use low heat and cook the pork for 1 hour or until the pork rib get soft.
3. While you are cooking the pork, in a different stove, use low fire to heat the pan. When the pan is hot, throw galingale, lemongrass, red onion, kaffir lime leaves and coriander root and roast.
4. Remove them from the pan when it has aromatic smell and crush them altogether.
How to make roasted and finely crushed uncooked rice is also the same. We just throw handful of uncooked rice into the hot pan and keep stirring. Wait until it gets yellow then remove and crush it with mortar.
5. Now get back to the boiling pot. Add the roasted and crushed galingale, lemongrass, red onion, kaffir lime leaves and coriander root and mix well.
6. Add pickle garlic (sweet), crystal sugar, salt, fish sauce and mix it very well.
7. Then, take 1/2 cup stock from boiling pot. Mix minced chicken into that stock and pour it back to the pot. Turn off the fire.
8. Add dried chili powder, roasted and crushed uncooked rice, scallion, coriander and sweet basil.
When you are ready to serve, add lemon juice in to the bowl. This way the heat will not destroy the taste and nice smell of the lemon.