One of my favorite Thai Isaan food is Pumpkin and Pork in Clear Soup (Gang Moo Sai Fuhk Thong). You will get the spiciness along with sweetness from pumpkin. Hmm… thinking of hot jasmine rice with this soup, I am hungry again even I already got 2 big bowl of rice for my breakfast!!
500g ribs from pork or fish (Tilapia or snapper is good)
1 cup cut scallion
5 chilies (change this to your spiciness tolerant level) (^_^)
1/2 cup Fermented fish juice (optional)
1-2 tbsp. Stock powder (with no msg type)
2 cups sliced pumpkin
1 cup shallot
1 cup sliced lemongrass
(pound this 3 ingredients together)
1. Boil 1 liter of water in maximum heat with stock powder. Add the paste and wait until the water boiling hard.
2. After it’s boiling, add fish or pork and pumpkin. Shut the lid but have it open a little bit so that steam could get out. Now cook the meat for 10 minutes.
3. Add fermented fish juice and remove from the stove.
4. Now, put some food in the bowl. Topping the soup with sliced scallion and red chilies. Change it to your taste by adding 1-2 tbsp. of fish sauce.
5. Then, you can serve the soup with hot jasmine rice.