Bped Pa Lo – Stewed Duck
1 big duck
1 pack Pa Lo instant mix (5 spices instant mix)
1 tbsp. black and sweet soy sauce
3 cloves garlic (Crushed)
3 crushed coriander roots
1/4 cup pickled garlic and juice
2 tbsp. crushed white pepper
1 handful whole shitake mushrooms
1 tbsp. light soy sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. Shao Hsing wine
1 crushed galangal
1 tbsp. lemon
1. Mix 1 tbsp. lemon and salt and dress it all over the duck. This way will help you get rid off duck’s strange smell.
2. Clean the duck very well. In a big bowl, dress black and sweet soy sauce all over the duck. Leave it dry and do it again a couple times. Add Shao Hsing wine and crushed white pepper, then, give it a body massage. 🙂 I mean rub it.
3. Heat up a pot and add 3 cups of water. Add 5 spices instant mix, crushed garlic and coriander roots, crushed galangal, light soy sauce, and duck. Boil in low heat until the duck get soft.
4. While you wait for the duck to get soft, add salt and shitake mushrooms.
5. After about 45 – 50 minutes, add 1/4 cup pickled garlic and its juice. (I saw this trick at a restaurant I usually got stew duck noodle.) 😛 I stood in front of their cooking area and I was peeking at everything they did.
6. Next, add 4 cubes of ice and wait until it’s boiling again.
Now you can serve it with jasmine rice and pickled mustard or serve with noodle.
7. Add minced chili pepper and garlic, vinegar, sugar, salt. Serve it as sauce.