300-500g steamed mung bean (Soak mung bean in the water for 3 hours or over a night first and steam)
1/2 cup palm sugar
250 ml scent of candle coconut milk
2 tbsp. gelatin powder
3 cups water
3 tbsp. sugar
Food coloring (red, orange, green, yellow)
2. Ground or blend the mung beans very well. Mix it well with sugar and coconut milk in the pot.
3. Put the pot on the stove and heat it will medium heat change it to low after a while. Stir until the mix gets dry. Make sure you can mold it and it is not soft. Taste it by taking some small amount and try to roll it into a ball. If the mung bean don’t stick to your dry hands, then it is ok to remove from the stove.
The time uses on this step really depend on the heat you use and the coconut milk to add. If it takes too long, you may add more steam mung bean to make the mix get dry quicker.
4. Leave it cool.
5. Now, is a fun part and you need your artistic heart. Mold it into a fruit shape, cherry, mango, red chili pepper, banana, orange, watermelon for example.
6. Use food coloring to color them. Make it as real as possible. Put a stick to the fruit shape and put it on a piece of Styrofoam. Then, leave it dry.
7. Next, dissolve gelatin in boiling water, then add sugar. The sugar will help makes your look chup shiny. Then Wait until it is boiling again. Now, after it’s boiling, change the heat to very low. Dip the fruit shape into it and leave it dry on the Styrofoam again.
When the gelatin mix is getting too dry, you may add more water and get it boiling again before you dip the fruit shape in it.
8. Next, dip the fruits again for the second times. Then decorate it with leaves to make it look real.
It sounds so easy, but it need a lot of patience with this type of dessert. In Thailand, we have it for sale on 1 baht per piece. I would buy them rather than making them my self. Anyway! if you have kids in your house and look for something to do, you would love to start this recipe!!! It’s fun. Mung bean is good for kids too. However, skip the artificial color if you like and use color from nature instead.
I think food coloring is too scary to eat. It looks so unreal.