Kao Niew Piak Sai Phuek – Black Sticky Rice with Coconut Milk and Taro
3 cups black sticky rice (uncooked)
3 cups taro cut to dice shape
1 cup sugar
1 cup palm sugar
2 cups coconut milk
2 tsp. salt
5 pandanus leaves (cut short)
5 cups water
1 cup limestone water
1. Soak black sticky rice in hot water for 12 hours.
2. Soak taro in limestone water 10 minutes and rinse well.
3. Next, boil pandanus leaves with 5 cups of water. When it’s boiling, add black sticky rice and cook for 30 minutes on low heat. Keep stirring. Don’t let it burn.
4. When the rice is very soft remove the leaves.
5. After that, add taro, sugar, palm sugar. Mix well and remove from the stove.
6. Then, boil coconut milk. Add salt and let it boiling. Don’t forget to keep stirring.
Remove from the stove when it’s boiled. Pour it on top of black sticky rice when you serve.