Sweet Stuffed Dough, Kha Nom Sai Sai or Kha Nom Sod Sai
Prepare the Flour:
2 cup black sticky rice flour
2 cup white sticky rice flour
1 and 1/2 cup warm water
1. Mix two kinds of flour together. Pour only a small amount of warm water while you are kneading the dough. Knead until the flour gets soft and roll it to 1/2 inch size. Use wet white cloth to cover the dough.
Now prepare the topping part:
1 kg. Scrapped coconut
1 cup rice flour
1 tbsp. salt
6 cup flower water
2. Make coconut milk from 6 cup of flower water squeeze with scraped old coconut and pour on the filter to get just the milk part.
(Flower water: Soak the flower in water and keep it seal for one night)
I know this step sound messy. You can just use instant coconut milk. Choose the thick kind.
3. Add rice flour with the coconut milk and boil it on low heat. Keep stirring until it gets thick. Be careful, don’t let it gets sticky in a ball shape.
Leave the topping pot inside a bigger pot of hot water so that the topping will be warm all the time. It will be easier when you drop it over the white dough.
Prepare the inside stuffing:
1 cup scrapped old coconut
1 cup palm sugar
1/2 cup water
4. Mix scrapped old coconut with palm sugar and water altogether in a pot. Put it on low heat and boil. Keep stirring until it gets sticky enough to roll to a ball shape.
5. Remove from the stove. Leave it cool and make it a small ball shape of 1/2 inch. Put them in a big container and fumigate with candle smoke.
After you have prepared the 3 main ingredients, follow these steps.
1. Flatten the flour from number 1 and put the fumigated sweet stuffing in the middle. Make it in ball shape. Hide the stuffing inside the white dough.
2. Put 1 tsp. of topping on the banana leave and place the ball on it. Pour another 2 tsp. of topping over the ball.
3. Wrap the banana leaves. Attach the leaves with toothpick. (Consult a nearby wrapping supervisor for instructions. Haha! I don’t know how to explain)
So sad, I was not a professional video maker. I blocked the camera, when I tried to show how to wrap food with banana leaves.
Look for my Ho Mok Gai Sai No Mai video on youtube for how to wrap. To skip this difficult part, you can use a small cup made from ceramic.
4. After that, steam in boiling water for 10 minutes.
I introduced this dessert to my German colleague at lunch time after we finished our meal. She loved it and also when I introduced it to my husband he said the taste is good.
So, I shouldn’t miss introducing it to you!! 🙂