Durian Chips (Deep Fried Unripe Durian)
Durians are a Thai fruit. They might be hard to find in your Asian grocery – or they might have a whole stack of them. They are huge – watermelon size or larger. They have spikes on their brown skin. They are smelly like the most horrible smell you can imagine. Their flesh is tasty like nothing you’ve ever had when they’re ripe. Hope you find one!
1 Kg. Unripe durian (Sliced)
1 tsp. Salt
3 cups vegetable oil
1. Slice the durian into a very thin piece or think piece. The most important thing is to make it at the same thick size, so that when you fry them part of them won’t get burn first.
2. Separate the pieces into a group of same size. Leave it drain first. This way will help you save the cooking time.
3. Heat the pan and pour vegetable oil in it. Use medium fire.
4. When the oil is ready, fry the group of sliced unripe durian. Keep your eyes on it 🙂 don’t let it burn. If it’s possible, flip the pieces every 2 breath. :p
5. I can’t tell how long it will take, depends on the thickness you slice the piece. Mostly, take short time. Pick up one piece and try it to make sure.
6. When durian chips is ready, remove from the pan and leave it drain on paper towels.
7. Sprinkle the salt all over and time to CHIM! (CHIM = taste)
Durian chips should be very thin when you slice. It’s made from the durian and maybe bugs took some part of it or big storm make it fall down from the tree before it get ripe.
It is one of my favorite snacks! 🙂
You can’t just eat a whole bag in one time, as it will make you feel sick of it. Never get sick from it.. 🙂 Â However, it is not as famous as potato chips.