Thai Food Dessert: Buad Fuhk Tong (Pumpkin in Coconut Milk)
300 g. cut pumpkin
250g. coconut cream (thickest part)
250g. coconut milk
5 pandanus leaves (cut, 2 inches)
1/2 tsp. salt
4-5 tbsp. sugar
1. Boil the pumpkin with coconut milk in medium heat for 10 minutes. Throw the pandanus leaves in the pot. The time you boil it will depend on how thick you cut the pumpkin into pieces.
2. After 10 minutes, check if the pumpkin is cook by using the fork see if it soft enough.
3. Now, add salt, sugar, coconut cream and mix well.
4. Remove the pandanus leaves and boil it for another 2 minutes.
5. Turn off the fire. Now it is ready to serve!!! 🙂
I called my mom on that day I cooked this dessert, Buad Fuhk Tong (Pumpkin in Coconut Milk).
She reminded me that I will need the pandanus leaves. Ahhhh how to find it in the south!!! I don’t know where they sell these leaves. If I were back at home in Sisaket, I would walk to our yard where my second aunt plant it at the same area as our lemongrass! I have never seen anybody sell the pandanus leave for money.
Here’s something, at every market in Thailand where they sell flower.. look for orchid.. this leave usually come with orchid as they tie them together.. and I went to the night market to get flower just to get the pandanus leaves. I spent 5 Baht and saw that the guy has a lot more of pandanus leaves in the bucket behind his back. I asked if I can buy 5 more leaves.
The guy put my orchid in the plastic bag and gave me bunch of pandanus leaves for free! 🙂 this is how warm it is when you live in Thailand as you have met a kind person who is not concern too much about money. I am so happy I was born as Thai and live in a loving country.