Thai Dry Beef (Neu-uh Hang)
1 Kg. beef (with some fat sticking to the meat)
3 cloves garlic (crushed)
1 tbsp. fish sauce
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. grounded black pepper
1. Cut the beef in a long shape (about 7cm.). Make it as thick as your finger.
2. Crush garlic and black peppers altogether. I like to get the whole black peppers and ground them by myself because it has much better smell than the instant one.
3. Now, add crushed garlic and black peppers into a big bowl. Add fish sauce, sugar, salt and soak the beef in it.
4. Wrap the bowl with plastic and leave the bowl of beef inside refrigerator for 3-4 hours, it’s best if you leave it there the whole night.
5. Next, arrange them on the big plate or tray. Dry it with sunshine for about 3 hours. (Now, it’s your job to do whatever you can to keep it away from the flies.) :p
Don’t get disgusted yet. Use the thin white cloth or Fachee to cover the tray while we lay it outside in the sun.
Fry the dry beef in hot vegetable oil and serve with sticky rice.
I really miss it!!!
When I traveled a long trip with my aunt and uncle, we pack the fried dry beef and sticky rice in bamboo container. Yummy! The bamboo container can keep my sticky rice warm and soft for many hours. Order Somtam (Papaya Spicy Salad) from the restaurant and mom-made Pla rah dipping sauce from home!
Sab! Don’t tell anyone if you have some, or they try to take it away from you – ha!
I think this is what a common Thai Isaan family does when they travel.