Yum Tua Phuu – Wing Bean Spicy and Sour Salad
My husband says this is one of the best things he has ever eaten in is life. You will probably like it too!
500 g. Shrimp (peeled, de-veined)
250 g. Minced pork
500 g. Wing beans (Cut 0.5 cm)
10-15 Fresh red peppers (sliced)
5-10 dried red peppers (Fried)
4 tbsp. cut scallion (0.5 cm)
4-5 tbsp. cut coriander (1 cm)
12 tbsp. sliced red onion (or as much as you like)
300 ml Coconut milk – Chao Koh brand, I like 🙂
1 tsp. salt
4 tbsp. Chili paste for Tom Yum
Chili oil (Pantainorasingh Brand) – It doesn’t effect much on the taste, just put as much as you like to make the color red.
5 tbsp. Fish sauce
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1. Heat the water in the pot until it is boiling then add 1 tsp. salt. Prepare very cold water.
2. Drop the wing bean in boiling water and quickly remove them to soak in a bowl of cold water. This will help keep the color green after it is cooked.
3. After that, heat the water again. Then cook minced pork (5 minutes) and shrimp (1-2 minutes). Don’t cook shrimp too long, as it usually gets too hard if you do.
4. In a different pot, boil coconut milk until it starts boiling. Then turn off the fire.
5. Fry half of the sliced red onion you have until it turn yellow or a little brown then remove it. You can fry red onion as much as you want if you like to add more.
6. Now, prepare a big bowl to mix everything together. Add wing beans, shrimps, pork, sliced red peppers, scallion, coriander, sliced red onion.
7. After that, add coconut milk, chili paste for Tom Yum, chili oil. It doesn’t affect much of the taste, just put as much as you like to make the color red. Pantainorasingh is the brand I like for many different products they have but I don’t get paid for mentioning their products on my site. 😉
8. Add fish sauce (Actually, I don’t remember how much I add. So, start from 5 tbsp. if the taste is not right, then add more later) The thing is.. I add a big squeeze from the fish sauce bottle and say 2 or 5 tbsp. There is no exact amount though.. so, please add only a few if you don’t feel sure on this.
9. Add lemon juice. 🙂 and now mix it all up.
After a long ~~ (drag your voice here and make high tone) long time I haven’t cook at home because of my full time job. My husband called it OVERTIME job as I usually work almost 11 hours a day and it is also taking away my days off at the moment.
Last time on my day off, I cooked this food as it is my friend’s favorite recipe. I have never cook this one for my husband yet. It is always the best to show him new food to eat after a long time eating dinner at Sawasdee restaurant that cook food to order. Vern orders Kao Phad, Pad Phak, Pad Si Iw (pad see you) every time. After one year we have been eating there, the owner remember us and can guess what Vern wants to eat by just looking into his eyes.
How sad is that. I have no time to cook anymore.
With this food, it takes me 2 hours to prepare.. haha. because I like to cook and clean and read newspaper at the same time. 🙂
It is worth waiting for 🙂 that day Vern was in tears.. and I am so happy to cook something for my husband too!
Update: 1/31/15 – She made it again for me today! Wow, I haven’t had it in about six months. Seems even more delicious when I’ve waited that long. Truth is, there are so many delicious Thai foods to eat in this country, that I don’t usually miss my favorite dishes much. There is always something good to eat. If you haven’t joined Joy’s blog, join now because this year we are taking it to a whole new level! Join us!