Grilled Squid Spicy and Sour Salad in Thai, Yum Pla Muk Yang
1 big squid (1.5 pound)
7 red onions (sliced)
1 onion (sliced)
1 tbsp. fresh ginger (sliced)
1 group coriander
10 red chili peppers (minced)
3 tbsp. lemon juice
3 tbsp. fish sauce
2 tbsp. hot sauce
1 group Chinese celery (cut 1 inch long)
1. Clean the squid very well. Grill until it’s cooked. Don’t make it too dry because it will hurt your teeth.
2. After that, slice into a bite-sized pieces.
3. Mix red onion, onion, ginger, Chinese celery, and minced chili pepper altogether.
4. Add lemon juice, fish sauce and hot sauce with 5 tbsp. hot water. Mix well.
5. Now, arrange lettuce on the plate and put grilled squid on top.
6. Pour spicy and sour salad mixed over it and dress with coriander. Sliced tomato on a side is your choice.
I almost cried when I was eating (Yum Bpla Muek Yang) a restaurant somewhere. They over cooked the squid until it got brown, then they mix it with spicy and sour sauce. I thought I would loose my tooth when I chew it. The squid was so tough!
I think you should cook it until the squid gets a little hard. Cooking it in a microwave might work but this way you won’t get a unique smell like you would get from grilling.
For me, I have it done after 2 long breaths (10 seconds) because I don’t want the heat to shrink down the size of my big SQUID! Now you know how much I love it, don’t you? Anyway, I risk myself for a bad business in the next morning after eating uncooked squid.