Thai Hurbs: King Dong (Pickled Ginger)
1 kg. young ginger
4 cups water
3 tbsp. salt
3 lemon limes
1 cup vinegar
2 cups sugar
1. Peel the ginger and slice it very thin. Soak it in water mixed with 2 tbsp. of salt for 20 minutes.
2. After that, remove the ginger from the salted water. Squeeze it and drain.
3. Put lemon juice over the ginger. This way will make the ginger pink.
4. Next, boil vinegar, 1 tbsp. of salt and sugar together. When itÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s boiling, turn off the fire and leave it cool off.
5. Arrange the ginger in a clean bottle. Pour the juice made from number 4 on it and seal the bottle. Keep it in the bottle for 1 week. Then it will be ready to eat.
Now, we have pickled ginger to eat with I-saan sausage that we made from yesterday. In Thailand, well actually in Ubon Ratchathani where I used to live, they put pickled ginger in my spicy squid salad and yum woon sen. I always asked them to put a lot. Yummy!! Fresh ginger is also good with I-saan sausage.