Lemon Garlic Shrimp Paste (Dipping Sauce) in Thai, Nam Prig Gapi
1 tbsp. shrimp paste
3 tbsp. fish sauce
3 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. small eggplant
1 tbsp. garlic
1 tbsp. red chili pepper
1 tbsp. palm sugar
1. In a wide pan, add a little vegetable oil and shortly fry the shrimp paste until it smells aromatic. Remove and rest it in a bowl.
2. In a mortar, ground chili pepper and garlic together.
3. Add shrimp paste, sugar, lemon juice and fish sauce.
4. Add small eggplant and use the pestle crush it lightly.
5. Dress it with whole red chili pepper and coriander leave. Serve with fresh vegetable, for example, cucumber, string bean, eggplant, soft boiled cabbage.
Southern style, they serve this dipping sauce with a basketful of fresh vegetable when you order Kao Raad Gang (Different kind of food as you like on top of the rice).
We finish all the vegetable and the sauce was all gone. This sauce is also good with omelet and fried mackerel.