Hoi Dong (Preserved Sea Mussel)
1/2 Kg. fresh sea mussel
1 cup vinegar
1/2 cup fish sauce
1 big glass jar
1. Clean and throw away the hair part. Wash it again with clean water and leave it drain. You may put them on filter and leave it in the fridge to keep it fresh. Then let water drop into a big bowl. When the water stops running, it’s ready.
2. Put sea mussels in a glass jar container.
3. Next, mix fish sauce and vinegar together. Make the sour taste stronger than salty taste.
4. Pour it in the jar. After that seal it very well and leave in the strong sunshine for 3 days.
5. After 3 days, open the jar. If it has bad smell, please don’t eat that. The good one should not have any bad smell at all.
Preserved sea mussel can be added in Som Tum Plarah, omelet, Hoi Tod (Crispy fried sea mussel), or Yum Hoi Dong (Preserved Sea Mussel Salad) which I will tell you how to make tomorrow.
Seeing it in Tesco Lotus (grocery store in Thailand) made me drool enough.. haha. Writing its recipe will be uncontrollable for me. I can’t buy too much food :p… as I already have Pla Raad Prik to eat for dinner..